Monday, May 24, 2010

The Best laid plans of Mice and Men. 26

Jandar, Shayn and Ono reappeared at the campsite. There were many people here now. All Denners troops laying around suffering from Polan's sickness. Jandar looked a Shayn.
" I think Gabriel will be needed here." Jandar said.
" Looks like I have some more healing to do."
Shayn shifted to Gabriel roared. He walked through the crowd using his breath on the solders healing them all as he went. Rage ran up to them and hugged Ono.
" I'm so glad to see you up." Rage said. He ruffled his hair and laughed." We all missed you."
" Oh stop it." Ono smiled. " I'm hungry. Where's the food?"
" Go see Tomar. He'll feed you and you can meet the others."
" Alright." Ono ran off to find Tomar and eat. Rage took Jandar in his arms and kissed him deeply. There arms wrapped around each other with passion. Everyone looked at them and smiled
"I guess you missed me." Jandar said.
" Yes I did." Rage still held him. " That and to thank you for what you did for my brothers and sisters in the cave. They're aware again so thank you." They kissed again.
" So what's going on here?" Jandar asked.
" Gabriel is healing the rest of the solders. We were waiting for the two of you to get back before we started. There are many things to talk about."
Rage and Jandar walked through the camp. Blaze cooked on a large fire. Someone had hunted and caught more then enough food to feed everybody. The solders that were awake ate as best they could. Polan's sickness made it hard for them to eat. But Gabriel's cure was going to fix that. None of these men would suffer from this sickness again. Ono was busy eating with Dreik and Jayce hovering around him. I doubt you could get Jayce away from him now with a sword. Denner had had his whole camp moved here. They had begun clearing away trees. Rage explained that they were going to build a compound here. This was to become there headquarters. Nautica was swimming in the bay while she waited. The twins were resting. Jandar looked up and saw Insa flying in, leaving a trail of smoke as he moved. Denner and Corrin came walking toward them, behind them walked Pelic, looking very confused and sorry for what he had tried to do.
" Rage we have men patrolling the woods all around the camp. Shine is with them. He'll contact you if there's any problems. The compound will be up in a few days." Corrin told them. "We're going to try and keep a few men here all the time to protect this settlement."
" Greetings Jandar." Denner said." Hows your brother?"
" He's there eating by Jayce. His new bodyguard." Jandar pointed.
In his gray robes Insa walked over to them. He nodded greeting them all.
" I have news from Wintehaven." He said.
" Call everybody together." Rage told Denner." Its time to plan."
" As you wish." Denner and Corrin ran off to carry out Rages orders. They sent someone person to person to tell them all of the meeting. Soon the whole camp was assembled. Rage looked out at all the people he now had to command. This was new to him. Commanding dragons was totally different. That he could do with a thought.
[ Jandar, I'm really going to need your help doing this.] He sent. [ I'm not use to commanding so many.]
[I'll be at your side always.] He heard back.
"Gentleman And Ladies, To anyone here that doesn't know who I am or my family here. I am Rage. King of the Keanna's dragon's. These are my children. In red beside me is Blaze. In green Gaia, in blue Nautica, in purple Ariel, in tan Cutter, and in white, Gabriel. The little golden one is Shine. We are dragons. To my right, Princes Jandar and Ono Tyr. We are all here because of a menace that plagues our homes. A very evil man who has destroyed your homes and families. Polan Dressek, The necromancer. He is very powerful, and he is also a dragon."
Everyone looked at each other not sure what that meant.
" What does that mean? It means that it's going to take us all to defeat him. You won't be able to do this yourself no matter how big an army you can get. And we can't do it without you help. It will take all of us to bring him down. There's one thing im going to need from all of you here. That's trust. Doubt at the wrong time can give him what he needs to win. None of you are suffering from his sickness anymore. That's a good thing. Most of you men are from Maveta. I promise you now, we will free your home and your people and cure any that need it. Why you ask? Gabriel stand with me please."
Shayn walked over and stood with Rage. There was a lot of commotion as the men recognized him. His name was called out many times, some men went to there knee.
" You recognize him? This is Prince Shayn of Maveta. He is one of us and I will protect him with my life. So will the rest of them and I hope all of you will to." Rage pointed to the other dragons. " So now it up to you all. Will you fight with us as we all fight for you? What say you?"
The men looked around, some talking to each other. Voices getting louder. Then a men stepped out of the crowd. He reached back and unbuckled his black armor, then threw it on the fire as black flames burst into the air. Then he took out his sword and stepped up to Rage and Shayn and layed it at there feet and bowed to them.
" I will fight for you." He said. " For my king and homeland."
Cheers went up from the crowd. One after another men came up and swore their allegiance to Rage and Shayn and tore off Polan's armor. Shayn looked up to Rage. A tear rolled down from his eye.
[I meant what I said to you and to them.] He sent to Shayn. [ We will free your home and destroy Polan. That I swear to everyone.]
[Thank you.] Shayn smiled at him in relief.
After the meeting broke up, Rage had Denner and Corrin, Pelic, and Insa stay. They all sat around a fire to plan.
" We need to know exactly what's going on. Where Polan is and where are his armies. We need to know where he's going next. How big his army is. And we need to get the Dragon Spirit from him. It's a source of power for him. And our brothers need it back."
" What is this Dragon Spirit." Denner asks.
" Its the magical spirit of any dragon clan." Insa said. " All clans have one. Its compose of a bit of every dragon in that clan. Without it?"
Every dragon at the table knew the answer to that question. The humans didn't need that information.
" The clan is destroyed." Insa said looking from dragon to dragon.
" So any ideas?" Rage asked.
" Yes." Jandar said. " Jayce, I want you to go have a look at the battle lines. You have the best vision here, you can map it for us. You still have clasp I gave you?
Jayce pushed back the fold of his cloak to reveal the gold clasp on his arm. He tapped it two times and became invisible. Two more and he was visible again.
" Good. That will keep you hidden." Rage said as he pace along the circle." How do we find Polan?"
" You won't find him during the day." Corrin said." He hates sunlit. We're not sure. It might kill him."
" He's weaker in sun lit." Cutter said. " But it won't kill him. As a dragon or a man. He just prefers the night."
"Then how do we find him?" Rage said.
" I can locate him." Cutter said.
" How?" Asked Jandar.
" He's the center of all this fear.It's like a fog with him in the center" He said. " To me, he's going to shine like the sun."
" How close will you have to get?" Jandar asked.
" Well I can tell you right now, he's southwest. At least a week away by horse. Three days if you fly." Cutter said. " But I can make an exact position within a half mile."
" Cutter, He might be able to detect you." Jandar told him. " His necromantic abilities might be able to close in on your fear abilities."
" That's possible. Cutter said.
[I CAN GO RIGHT TO HIM.] Shine sent.
" What do you mean?" Rage asked.
[IN MY GHOST FORM, I'M ATTUNED TO HIM.]Shine jumped onto Rages shoulder.
" Will he detect you?" Jandar asked.
[I DON'T THINK SO. MY MAGIC CAN COVER ME. I ONLY HAVE THE SMALLEST CONNECTION TO HIM. I DON'T THINK HE WILL NOTICE. AND I DON'T PLAN TO GET CLOSE ENOUGH TO TOUCH. UNLESS I CAN KILL HIM]
" YOU CAN'T!!" Rage said to his father with force. " SO EVEN IF YOU SEE THE PERFECT CHANCE. DON'T TRY IT!! THAT'S AN ORDER!!"
[ YES HIGHNESS.]
" There's one more thing I was thinking." Rage told them. " And only one of us can do it. That's you Pelic."
Pelic looked up. He had been sitting quietly through the council meeting still ashamed of himself.
" What can I do for you?" He said.
" Can you get close to him and watch him?" Rage stood in front of him.
" Won't he notice I've been cured?" Pelic asked He was scared. What the poison did to him he didn't like. Pelic was know to be dark, but Polan scared him. He knew that even if he was on Polan's side. sooner or later, Polan would dispose of him. Painfully.
" No." Gabriel said. " I took the poison from you. I can change it so you won't feel pain or be at his command and give it back to you."
Pelic turned white at the thought of having that in him again. But he knew he had to help them.
" Don't worry Pelic." Gabriel said to him. " It won't be able to hurt you. It's just going to be enough so he feels it in you."
" I'll do it. Pelic said.
" Shine will be there with you. He can advise us. If you feel threatened. Get clear and get away." Rage said knealing in front of him. "Understand?"
" Yes. " He said. " Rage, I'm sorry for what I tried to do. I can't blame Polan for all my action. But I can promise I'll never do anything against any of you again."
" Your forgiven Pelic." He shook his hand. " This is a second chance for you. But you'll have to earn our trust."
" I will." Pelic assured him. " I promise."
" Then learn all you can from him, and about his necromancy." Jandar said. " I need to know all I can to fight him. If you can get into his library, check out his books carefully. Both of you look for the spirit."
" Now any news?" Rage asked.
" Yes." Insa stood up." Winterhaven has been over run with Polan's solders. It's not an invasion force, but the city is in peril, and the council is being neutral in this war."
" Damn!!" Ariel said. " I knew we should have done something."
" If you had." Insa said. " The council would have objected. Now I have their permission to act. But you understand, if we get caught the council will do nothing, they might even have to raise an objection. They cant be seen as taking a side in this."
" Guess we just became vigilantes." Blaze said. " I'll gather a few groups to patrol the city."
" Fine." Rage said. "But I want our men out of the black armor. Denner, you and Corrin are in on this. No major battles in the streets."
" What do you want us to do with the men once we stomp them?" Denner asked.
" We cure them." Gabriel said. " Bring them back here. We need the men. Remember, it's Polan's disease that's making them do these things. Once there cured we'll see. Any that want to join us can."
" Yes." Rage said. " We're building barracks and a place for us to gather. That's it for now. Any questions?" No one spoke up.
" Let's get to it."
They all get up to leave. Denner walked up to Jandar.
" Can I talk to you?" He said.
" Yes you can." Jandar told him.
" I want to ask a favor of you." Denner said. " It's not an easy one."
" What is it?" They sat down by the fire.
" I'm not important here. I feel like there's nothing I can really do." Denner said. " Being a dragon, Prince Shayn won't be needing my protection any more. And I'll help in anyway to fight for Maveta believe me."
" Denner, What are you asking me?" Jandar asked him.
" Corrin and I want to join you and Rage." He said.
" You have joined." Jandar assured him. " There's going to be plenty for you. Your our General. You will command the troops, both of you."
" That's not what I mean." He said. " I want to be a dragon like you and the rest. I want that power to help others."
" I'm not a dragon." Jandar told him smiling.
" But King Rage said you were." Denner was puzzled. Rage had said they were all dragons. How can Jandar deny it now?
" He said they were dragons. Jayce, my brother and I are different."He said.
" How?"
" Watch." Jandar stepped back and throw back his head and howled.
" AWRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"He shifted to man-wolf form. His fur shined black, his teeth grew to canines. A tail and claws grew. Denner stepped back a little shocked and afraid. A werewolf!!! Jandar bowed to him and Denner realized he's not a wild animal. The legends were not true. Jandar shifted back.
" Understand?" He said.
" Yes I do." He sat back down.
" How did you become a werewolf?"
" Ono and I were born wolfen." Jandar told him. " Our father is King of one of the largest wolfen clans a long way from here."
" And Jayce and the wings?" Denner asked.
" The wings were a gift." He told him.
" From who?" Denner looked at him, he didn't understand.
" Denner, I'm a werewolf and a master mage." Jandar said. " There are things I don't know or want to know. Jayce is my brother, not by blood but by an even stronger bond. Friendship. I'm not investigating what happened to him unless its necessary. As for becoming a dragon?"
He through his arm around Denners shoulder.
"You never know, You might even grow wings." They walked off laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment