Monday, May 24, 2010

Capturing an Angel. 24


The moon was out and the sky was clear as Jayce, Shine and Tomar set up camp. They had no idea how long they were going to be staying. Jandar said he would send for them when it was safe. Jayce was totally lost as to what was on that strange man's mind, but he was sure he wanted nothing to do with him.
" I'm hungry." Tomar said as he blew a jet of flame on a pile off wood to start a fire.
[AS AM I. FUNNY , I FORGOT WHAT IT FELT LIKE TO BE HUNGRY.]
" So am I." Jayce rubbed his stomach." Why don't you two go hunt?"
" I don't know. " Tomar said. " We're to stay with you."
" But you can get food faster then I can. " Jayce said. " Besides, I'm tired from the long flight. I just want to rest. And no one's here but us. Its safe"
" That's not going to happen. " Tomar said. " There's no way I'm leaving you alone for a second. We're here to protect you, and I'd never forgive myself if something happened while we were hunting. Then there's Jandar and Rage. What do I tell them? We were hungry?"
Jayce gave Tomar a look of annoyance. He was hungry and needed food.
" You see these wings?" He spread out his wings. " It takes a lot of energy for me to fly. That means I eat a lot. If I don't eat, I get weak. And I can protect myself you know. I was a captain in my kings guard for years before I started traveling with Jandar and Ono."
" And how will you protect yourself?" Tomar asked.
Jayce patted his sword at his side." With this." He said smiling. He pulled the sword out.
" With that?" Tomar laughed." Against magic?"
Jayce pointed at three boulders on the cliff." Watch this."
He said and pointed at the boulders with this blade. The sword began to glow. Suddenly a bolt of energy shot out and struck one of the boulders. It exploded into rubble and showered them with pebbles and dirt. Jayce smiled and put his weapon back into the scabbard.
" That's some sword!!!" Tomar said brushing off the dust.
" Thanks. Jandar enchanted it." He said. " So you don't have to watch me."
" Yes I do." Tomar told him. " That's what I promised, that's what I I'll do."
Jayce threw up his hands in exasperation. " Then how do we eat?" He asked.
[ I COULD HUNT.] Shine sent to them. They both looked up at him. Jayce laughed.
" What rabbits, mice?" He said through his mirth.
[ TODAY IS A DAY WE LEARN ABOUT EACH OTHER I GUESS. WATCH.]
Shine leaped into the air winging his way higher. As he rose he grew to his full height and length. He flew around then landed on the cliff.
[WELL?]
" I'm impressed." Jayce said. " That settles it. Shine can hunt, and you can protect me."
[ I'LL RETURN WITH DINNER.]
Leaping off the cliff, Shine flew out over the bay then turned back into the forest.

Deep in the forest a large group of men in black armor sat in trees and watched Jayce and Tomar as Shine flew off. Denner Ralson leaded the group. He had been a captain in the house of Whitlock. His family had protected the Whitlock royal family for generations. He hated what he was doing now. This Polan was evil and Denner had little choice but to do as he was ordered. No matter how hard he fought he was being controlled by the poison, the pain, and Polan's will. With him he kept men of Maveta. Loyal men. They were determined to find a way to break away from Polan and fight him. Denner climbed down and walked to the tent he used for his command post. He was a very tall handsome man with short blond hair. He walked tall like a soldier should. All his men respected him. Standing in front of his tent was his most trusted aid, Corrin Ajakk. Corrin was waiting on Denner to find out what he wanted there orders were. Denner walked up to Corrin and handed him the glasses that he had been using.
" Well?" Corrin asked. " Do we grab him?"
" Quiet!!" Denner pointed at Pelic. "We can't let him know we're not gonna do what that black hearted bastard wants."
He ushered Corrin into the tent. The sat at the table to talk.
" But you have to know the pain will be back." Denner said. " We're gonna have to take the pain and stay away from Polan. If we get near him he'll be able to control us again."
" I watched him kill the king and the royal family." Corrin said. " It was the worse day of my life. I was in the throne room and there was nothing I could do. I was on the floor riding in pain when that bastard came in."
" Stop!!" Denner said. " Don't relive it. We"re going to have enough pain soon enough."
" I can't help it." Corrin got up and walked around. " That's what I see when I close my eyes."
" That's why we have to fight this." Denner told his friend. He got up and stopped Corrin's pacing.
"Prince Shayn is in Winterhaven, we have to get to him, protect him and see if there's anyone in that city that can cure us."
" But first we have to get rid of..."
Just then the tent flaps opened and Pelic walked in. He looked at Denner and Corrin then smiled.
" I trust everything is going as planned?" He said.
Pelic came over and sat in Denners seat.
" Polan wants the winged man in his camp as soon as possible. When do we move?"
" As soon as you get out of my tent and let me get ready."
Denner folded his arms and waited. Corrin looked at him with such contempt.
" Have a care, Captain." Pelic said. " I have Polan's trust. Do you?"
" I follow my lords orders to the letter." Denner said. "But I see you and he are on first name bases. I'm sure he will enjoy that you think him your equal."
The madness in Pelic's eyes blazed bright. He was so mad a spell was on his lips. He wanted to send fire burning through both of the solders in front of him. But Polan wouldn't like that.
" Be ready to move in half an hour." Pelic pushed his way pass them and out of the tent.
" He must be taken care of tonight. Or all is lost." Denner said.
" What do you want to do?" Corrin moved closer.
" Here's what we will do." Denner said.

Shine had come back with a buck to eat. Tomar butchered it cut out steaks. Jayce had found some wild vegetables to go with it. The smell of the food cooking was mouth watering. They talked as they ate. Shine was back to his small form.
" So Shine." Jayce asked. "How come you never take your human form?"
[ I DON'T HAVE ONE. I WAS A SPIRIT WHEN I MERGED. I HAD NO BODY. I CAN TAKE THE SMALL FORM OR MY FULL DRAGON FORM.]
"You don't miss being human?" He asked.
[ I'M ALIVE, THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH. REMEMBER, I WAS DEAD BEFORE THIS, AND I HAVE MY SON BACK IN MY LIFE. ONLY THING I MISS IS MY MAGIC.]
" You were powerful?" Tomar asked finished off his meal.
[ I WAS THE HIGH MAGE TO THE KINGDOM OF ANDROS. I HAD FIVE APPRENTICES AND MY OWN GROUP OF BUILDINGS.]
" Is there any magic left?" Tomar asked.
[ ALL MY SPELLS ARE COMING BACK TO ME. I STILL HAVE MY MAGIC SENSES. BUT I CAN'T SPEAK THEM. I STILL HAVE GESTURE MAGIC. WATCH.]
Shine turned and twisted his claws. Rocks rose up and flew through the air. With a flick of his claw the rocks turned into butterflies.
" Do you smell that Shine?" Tomar got up and looked around.
[YES. MEN ARE COMING. I'M GOING TO SEE WHAT I CAN FIND]
Shine flew off into the trees. He wanted height in case he had to grow. Jayce pulled his sword to be ready if something happened. Four men walked out of the trees dressed in black armor, all four armed. Then Jayce turned his head and saw Pelic walk out.
" My winged friend, we meet again," Pelic smiled as he walked toward him.
" What do you what?" Jayce asked holding his sword out.
" A friend of mine wants to meet you." Pelic said. " I'm going to bring you to meet him."
Shine swooped down and roared, Tomar shifted to Blaze. Jayce stood between them.
" You know what?" Pelic said. " I have a spell that can incapacitate any dragon. They will be dead and you will be our prisoner. Say good bye to your friend."
Pelic raised his hands to cast his spell. Jayce's sword began to glow, when suddenly they heard a smack sound. A surprised look came over Pelic's face. He fell forward, flat on his face out cold. Behind him stood a soldier with a mace.
" I've wanted to do that since I first met him." He said smiling.
" What the hell?" Jayce yelled. Two men in black armor walked out. Jayce, Blaze and Shine stood ready to battle them. The two men dropped there weapons and held up there hands. Jayce ,Blaze and Shine looked at each other puzzled as to what was going on. One man walked forward to face Jayce. Both Blaze and Shine could reach out and make a meal of him if they wanted. This man was a brave.
" My name is Captain Denner Ralson." He said.
" This is Lt Corrin Ajakk. Were members of the Maveta Royal guard. We need your help."
" With what?" Jayce asked." To save our Prince and our home." Corrin said.
Blaze shifted back to human form. Shine reduced in size.
" How can we help?" Jayce asked re sheathing his sword and holding out his hand. Denner took his hand and shook it. Tomar held out his hand for Corrin. He hesitated for a second then reached out and grasped his hand.
" We need to get to Prince Shayn." He said. " But we can't enter the city. There are others there that will know us. They will know we betrayed Polan."
"POLAN!!!!!" Jayce and Blaze shouted.
" You know him?" Denner asked.
" Yeah we know him. He poisoned our brother. He's been chasing us for a long time." Jayce told him. " I have to talk to the others. I need to know whats going on in Winterhaven."
Jayce turned to Tomar." Call Rage please. See whats happening there."
Denner and Corrin looked it each other. What did he mean call Rage?
" Who"s Rage?" Denner asked.
" He's our King." Tomar said. " And he's coming here to meet you."
" Then they found the last one?" Jayce asked.
" And its merged. Rage says Gabriel glows." Blaze smiled
"Why is he coming here? Denner asked.
" You asked for our help just a minute ago." Jayce told him. "He and Jandar are the ones to ask. Have a sit, they wont be long."
" There in Winterhaven?" Corrin asked.
" Yes." Jayce said as he sat down.
" So?"
" Winterhaven is two days away." He said. " How can they be here anytime soon?"
Jayce looked at Blaze, then they both burst out in laughter. He spread his wings and started to flap. He rose into the air and hovered there. Denner and Corrin watched in amazement as Jayce moved around. The wind from his wings blew back there hair and swept the leaves and debris all around.
" Did you think my wings were just for show?" He called out as he landed and walked up to the pair of soldiers. " You saw my friends there. They're dragons with wings and everything. He breathes fire. It won't take them long to fly here. So rest for the time being."

No comments:

Post a Comment